Learning Support (SEND) and Catch Up
The Learning Support Department deals with pupils who have special educational needs and/or disabilities. Our aim is to offer pupils an education in the broadest sense of the word encouraging the development of intellectual, emotional and social growth. We believe in including pupils in all aspects of school life. We endeavour to make reasonable accommodations, whenever necessary, to make this happen.
Our facilities include:
- Dedicated well equipped literacy and numeracy rooms where pupils can have specialist teaching and one-to-one tuition
- A small flat where all aspects of life skills can be taught. Pupils shop, cook, carry out other household tasks and can also have travel training. Some pupils make their breakfast here and use this space at break times for social interaction
- A dedicated garden in which pupils plant, grow and harvest a range of fruit and vegetables
- A very friendly dog who is on hand to lend support
The Personal Learning Centre is a hive of activity. At lunchtimes the Department runs a very popular activities/social club which includes football, rounders, boccia, a variety of games and craft activities. They also provide support for SEND pupils with their homework.
Incorporated into the Academy is the Specialist Autistic Resource. Information on this can be found in Havering’s Local Offer on Havering’s website.
Contact with the Learning Support Department can be made as follows:
- Mrs Elizabeth Bint, Head of The Autistic Resource and Director of Access (SENDCO)
- Office No: 01708 225684 Ext: 235